How To Choose An Oncologist
There are five steps to choosing an oncologist:
Step 1: Choose the type of oncologist you need.
Step 2: Set criteria that work for you.
Step 3: Search for doctors that most closely fit your criteria. If you are going to have more than one oncologist (such as a medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist), they do not have to be members of the same practice or even associated with each other.
Step 4. Speak with the doctor's office to gain practical information.
Step 5: Meet with the doctor.
If you are choosing a surgical or radiation oncologist, instead of reading the other sections of this document, click on the appropriate link:
- Surgical oncologists:
- Rdiation oncologists, click here.
NOTE: Before agreeing to a treatment, ask all questions of concern to you. For a list of suggested questions, see:
- Questions To Ask Before Agreeing To A Chemotherapy Treatment
- Questions To Ask Before Agreeing To A Radiation Treatment
- Questions To Ask Before Agreeing To Surgery
- Questions To Ask Before Agreeing To Surgery For Colorectal Cancer