- Obtaining Life Insurance Through An Organization
- Life Insurance Can Be Purchased In Any State In Which You Sign An Application
- How To Search For An Individual Life Insurance Policy
- If You Are Recently Diagnosed, In Treatment, Recently Post Treatment or HIV Positive
- If You Are A Longer Term Survivor (and not HIV Positive)
- Guaranteed Issue Life Insurance
- Simplified Issue Life Insurance
- Obtaining Life Insurance Through An Employer
- Obtaining Life Insurance Through Your Partner Or Spouse
- Credit Life Insurance
- Mortgage Life Insurance
Life Insurance: How To Buy Despite A Health History
While purchasing life insurance after a diagnosis can be difficult, it is not impossible.
Alternatives, which are discussed in the other sections of this article, include:
- Searching with a life insurance broker or on your own for life insurance that may be available in your state or a nearby state or a state to which you easily travel.
- Depending on your health history, you may qualify for standard issue life insurance - possibly with a higher than average ("Rated") premium.
- If you do not qualify for a standard issue policy, you may be able to obtain a simplified issue policy (only a few questions are asked) or guaranteed issue policy (where no questions are asked.)
- Obtaining life insurance through work, either during an open enrollment period at your current job or going to work for another employer who offers life insurance. (For more information about changing jobs after a diagnosis, see the article in "To Learn More.")
- Through a partner or spouse.
- By joining an organization that offers life insurance to members such as a fraternal organization or an organization for members of the same profession.
- Credit life, both in the form of credit insurance and mortgage life insurance.
- Before purchasing life insurance, check the insurance company rating to be sure it will be here to pay future claims. For instance, check the the company at the independent rating agency: TheStreet.com
- For additional information about what to look for when purchasing term life insurance, click here.
- If you have a question about whether you should purchase life insurance, learn about the benefits of having life insurance which include often overlooked benefits while you ae alive. See New Uses of Assets -- Life Insurance.
To Learn More
Get Your Personal Guide