Coffins and Other Products Used In A Funeral
Common services and products used in a funeral are:
- Caskets (the box in which people are buried)
- Burial vaults or grave liners (to keep the earth from collapsing)
- Oils, herbs, and other special body preparations
- Urns for cremated remains.
- (To learn about organ, tissue and body donation, see: Organ, Tissue And Body Donation).
Caskets, burial vaults, and urns can be purchased from sources other than from a funeral home or made by family and friends- for substantially less than the average funeral home. If you use a funeral home, it has to accept items purchased or made elsewhere.
For information about obituaries, click here.
NOTE: In addition to traditional cemetery plots, another option is a "green" cemetery. In green cemeteries, the body is not embalmed, is buried in biodegradable caskets or no caskets, in a nature preserve.