Charity: Raising Money For
A few charitable fund raising ideas follow.
- Celebrate an event in your life such as a birthday by asking friends to contribute to an organization you choose in your name instead of giving you a gift..
- Join a walk-a-thon, a bike ride or a short run. Many charities sponsor them. In most cases you can set up a web page through which friends and family can easily donate. As a bonus, you get exercise.
- Create a web page for personal fund-raising for any legitimate charity at www.FirstGiving.com . Note that the site charges a transaction fee.
- Give your own fund raising event. It can be something as easy to do as inviting friends to dinner at your place and asking for donations. (Checks should be payable directly to the charity. Include names and addresses when you turn the money in to the charity so the donors can receive proof of a charitable donation for tax purposes).
- Involve your children in fund raising activities. It can help them feel as if they are doing something about your health condition. You're also sending the message that giving is important.
- Ask your employer to donate products or services which can be sold or auctioned at a benefit.
- If you belong to a group, even a support group, schedule a speaker to talk about giving to charity.
If you are creating your own event, it is advisable to let the charity know beforehand. The charity may have ideas to help maximize the amount of money you raise and minimize your effort. It will also help keep you from unnecessarily duplicating efforts.