What Biofeedback Is
Biofeedback uses machines to teach you how to control certain body functions, such as heart rate, breathing, and muscle tension. You probably never think of these body functions because they happen on their own. Learning how to control them may help you relax.
Biofeedback is often used to treat pain along with other pain relief methods.
Most people learn how to use biofeedback from a licensed professional. It is then possible to do biofeedback at home with your own machine.
Biofeedback works as follows:
- Electrodes which are attached to a special machine are placed on your skin. The electrodes allow the machine to monitor tiny changes in your body's physiological reactions.
- A biofeedback therapist guides you to use visualization and relaxation techniques to help consciously regulate the involuntary functions mentioned above.
- The machine provides instant feedback on how well you are controlling various body functions.
- The goal is to be able to get to the desired state of relaxation without the use of the machine.
Home units are being marketed but there is little reliable data about these machines to date.
How To Find A Biofeedback Expert
- Check with your doctor or other health care professional
- Visit the website of the Biofeedback Certification International Alliance at www.bcia.org Click on "Find A Practitioner".
To Learn More
More InformationComplementary and Alternative Medicine