You are here: Home Government ... Social Security: ... How Do I Request ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

How Do I Request A Representative Payee?


If you have noticed signs that might make it difficult to continue controlling your finances, you may contact Social Security (either by phone at 1.800.772.1213 or go personally to your local field office) and request that one be appointed.

Before you contact Social Security:

  • Make a list of potential payees
  • Get approval from the people on your list

As long as your request meets the requirements for a payee listed in Representative Payees, you should have no trouble getting your recommendation appointed as Payee.

If you feel you have the need to have someone take care of your finances, consider appointing a Durable Power of Attorney or asking the court to appoint a Guardian, rather than requesting a Representative Payee.

NOTE: Social Security takes privacy considerations very seriously. A Representative Payee will have access to information about your Social Security benefits, and will be able to request changes and otherwise act as if she or he were you. Someone with power of attorney will not have that access unless you specifically request it in writing. Social Security does not recognize Power of Attorney for purposes of managing benefit payments.

To Learn More

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.