You are here: Home Insurance Property And ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Property And Casualty Insurance

Next »


Property and casualty insurance protects against major financial loss that could be avoided without a minimal cash outlay.

  • Property insurance covers the risk of loss to property and its consequences. For example fire insurance can cover the risk of fire damage to your residence as well as the cost of living arrnagements.
  • Casualty insurance protects against liability to third persons.

Basic property and casualty policies that are generally recommended include:

  • Homeowners Insurance that covers both loss to your physical residence and liability to third persons who come to your residence. (Homeowners insurance for renters is sometimes called "Renters Insurance.")
  • Automobile insurance which covers both liability to third persons as well as damage to your vehicle.
  • Flood Insurance and Earthquake insurance if your dwelling is in an area which is prone to either flooding and/or earthquake.
  • Excess liability insurance (also known as "Umbrella Insurance") is designed to increase the limits of your basic liability policy. An excess liability policy does so without broadening the coverage of specified underlying insurance coverage. Umbrella policies are not only increase the limits, they also expand the personal coverage beyond policies such as the typical homeowners policies. They are generally considered to be worth the minimal premiums if your assets are near the liability limits of your homeowners, personal liability and/or auto liability policies.

If you travel, travel insurance covers risks that may be increased because of your health condition. (For more information, see: Travel Insurance Post Diagnosis.

If you have a pet, consider pet insurance now that expensive life-saving treatments are available for your pet.

There are insurance coverages for many other types of risks to consider. The key is to balance the risk those events may occur to you. the coverage and the premium and other costs (such as deductibles). Keep in mind that premiums become lower as the size of the deductible (the amount you pay before the insurance company pays) increases.

If you purchase insurance through a broker, choose your broker carefully and maximize your relationship with him or her. 

For more information, see:


  • Make your life easier in the event of a loss by creating an inventory of your personal property. It's well worth the time and effort. You may find there are items you no longer use that you can sell or give to charity. (A charitable deduction can reduce your taxes).
  • Although it is not covered on our site, if you own a business or are self employed, you also need property and casualty insurance for your business.  

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.