You are here: Home Government ... Medicare: ... Original Fee-For-Service ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Medicare: Original Fee-For-Service

Original Fee-For-Service Medicare: Premiums

Next » « Previous



  • Part A: There is no premium for Original Fee-For-Services Medicare Part A unless you do not have sufficient eligibility.
  • Part B:  The amount you pay per month for Part B varies according to the amount of your income. In 2015, most people pay $147 a month.  If you are receiving a Social Security benefit, payment for Part B will be deducted from the payment. Otherwise, you have to pay Medicare dierectly.
  • Part D:   You pay Medicare directly.
  • Financial assistance to help pay premiums: There is help available for paying Original Fee-For-Service Medicare premiums. To learn more, see: Medicare: Financial Assistance
  • The amount of Medicare premiums varies from year. To learn the current costs, go to: offsite link.  Click on "Your Medicare Costs"

How You Pay For Medicare:

  • If you are receiving SSDI or Retirement: If you receive Medicare when you receive a Social Security benefit, such as a Retirement benefit or Social Security Disability Insurance, the Part B Medicare premium is automatically deducted from your monthly benefit check. 
  • If you are eligible for Medicare and not receiving a monthly Social Security benefit, then you must make arrangements with Social Security to submit the payments periodically.  This could happen if:
    • You were born before 1938, and defer your retirement benefits past age 65.
    • You were born after 1938. You will be eligible for Medicare at age 65, but your Normal Retirement Date won't be until sometime later.
    • You complete your Trial Work Period under Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and continue working. Your SSDI benefits will stop even though you're still eligible for Medicare.
  • To make payment arrangements, call Social Security at 800.772.1213 or go in person to your local Social Security office. Generally, Social Security will want you to submit your payments for Part B Medicare in quarterly payments for three months of premiums.

NOTE: Watch to make sure you stay current on your payments. If you do not, your Part B coverage will be terminated and you will be forced to wait until the next Open Enrollment to get it back. 

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.