You are here: Home Government ... Caregiver ... Independent Contractor ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Caregiver Agreement

Independent Contractor Versus Employee

Next » « Previous


According to the IRS: Generally, whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor depends upon how much control you have as a business owner. If you have the right to control or direct not only what is to be done but also how it is to be done then your workers are most likely employees. If you can direct or control only the result of the work done, and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result, then your workers are probably independent contractors.

To learn more, see:,,id=99921,00.html offsite link

If the caregiver is an employee, you are responsible to comply with IRS regulations. To learn more, see the IRS publication: Household Employer's Tax Guide, Publication 926 ( offsite link).

If the caregiver is an independent contractor, you are responsible for filing an IRS form 1099 if you pay the caregiver a minimum amount in any calendar year. The amount changes from time to time. $600 is the amount for 2010.

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.