You are here: Home Finances Mortgage ... Professionals Who Can ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Mortgage Payments: Difficulty Paying

Professionals Who Can Help

Next » « Previous


A professional can provide advice about your options, including information about the various government programs which have been put into place to help. A professional may have advice about how someone in your position could best negotiate with the lender or company that services the mortgage.

A professional can also let you know about a defense you hadn't thought of. For instance, in some states, such as Oregon, there are laws against taking advantage of a vulnerable person. A "Vulnerable person" is defined to include people over age 65 and people who have a health condition as well as other vulnerable people.

Consider starting your search for professional help with the least expensive professionals first - HUD approved housing counselors. They work for free. You can find a HUD approved housing counselor at: offsite link or call 888.995.HOPE (4673). It may also help to speak with a knowledgeable real estate broker who has been involved in foreclosures may be able to give you advice or contact the lender for you for free.  (If you want overall help with your finances, also consider speaking with a credit counseling service (the free variety). To learn more, see Credit Counseling Service.

 Also consider the following resources which are listed in no particular order:

  • Institute for Foreclosure Legal Assistance. See: offsite link
  • Neighborhood Works America, a non profit organization that offers counseling. offsite link. Tel.: 202.220.2300.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development lists approved counseling agencies. offsite link or call 800.569.4287.
  • Mortgage Bankers Association. Links to resources at offsite link  Click on Foreclosure Prevention Resource Center.
  • Financial planners
  • Foreclosure rescue companies. Note: foreclosure rescue companies are not licensed. Check a company's reputation before proceeding, for example with the Better Business Bureau ( offsite link)
  • Lawyers. 
    • Lawyers can advise you and can also negotiate for you with the lender or servicing company for a concession. 
    • Look for a lawyer who has experience in mortgage foreclosures. For example, offsite linkwhich runs U.S. Loan Modification Service. For information about finding a lawyer, click here.

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.