You are here: Home Managing Your ... Home Bound 101 How To Make Your House ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Home Bound 101

How To Make Your House Or Apartment More Friendly To Your Needs

Next » « Previous


Your home may present hazards that were not important before, or there may be steps to take to make it easier to get around. Ask a family member or friend to take a tour of the areas you use to look for hazards and for ways to make the space more useful to you during this period.

For example:


  • Is it bright enough for you to navigate around safely?
  • Alternatively, can the lighting be dimmed when you need it for safety or for someone to tend to you yet be soft enough not to disturb you?


  • Consider adding a simple handrail be added to the bathtub.
  • Remove rugs that you can trip on.
  • Add safety treads where you stand for a shower.

General areas

  • Remove scatter rugs
  • Eliminate loose electrical cords and other trip hazards
  • Add a runner to wooden stairs that can be slippery

If modifications to your home are neeeded, you can find tips at National Aging In Place Council at offsite link  Click on "Practical Advice" on the pull-down menu.  Scroll down to "Making Your Home Senior Friendly"

To locate a contractor with experience in modifying homes for seniors see:

  • The National Association of Homebuilders:, offsite linkTel.: 800.368.5242. Type "Hire a Certified Aging in Place specialist" (CAPS) in the search box. 
  • The National Resource Center On Supportive Housing And Home Modification,, offsite link, Tel.: 213.740.1364 

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.