You are here: Home Managing Your ... Assisted Living ... How To Maximize A Stay ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Assisted Living Facilities

How To Maximize A Stay In An Assisted Living Facility

« Previous


In order to maximize your stay in an assisted living facility:

  • Personalize your room to the extent that you can to make yourself feel comfortable and at home.
  • If you have a roommate and the two of you don't get along, request a change.
  • Be an active participant in your care. 
    • Speak up about your needs and when you think you are not being treated well. 
    • Choose a family member or friend to act as a patient advocate to talk with the facility administration on your behalf when you aren't feeling well or if you are not up for speaking up for yourself. Remind that person that being courteous and friendly works better than anger - at least in most instances. Hopefully the person will know when it is necessary to push harder.
  • Keep in mind that federal and state laws give all residents of an assisted living facility the right to dignity, choice, quality services and activities and to self-determination. 
  • Try to resolve problems through discussion. Since there is strength in numbers:
    • It may help to get other residents of the assisted living facility to approach the facility administrator together to request a change. 
    • Consider joining together to create a Resident Council. You can find information about Resident Councils at offsite link, click on Residents. 
  • If there are problems that are not resolved through discussion:
    • Contact your state's Ombudsman. 
      • Part of his or her job is to help people in assisted living facilities.
      • You can locate your state's Ombudsman through offsite link or the Eldercare Locator at www.EldercareLocator.go offsite linkv or by calling 800.677.1116.
      • Contact other state agencies which help people in a skilled nursing facility. You can locate the agencies through  offsite linkClick on Resident, then Assisted Living, , then Getting Help
    • If there is abuse, neglect or exploitation, contact your county's Adult Protective Services office.
If problems are not resolved, and if the subjects are important to you, consider moving to another assisted living facility.

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.