You are here: Home Government ... SSDI: Guidelines ... Documents To Take ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Documents To Take To The Interview When Applying For SSDI


Proof of Birth

  • If you were born in the USA, Social Security requires an original or state-certified copy of your birth certificate. If you don't have a certified copy of your birth certificate, find out how to obtain one at offsite link. You can also consider contacting the hospital at which you were born and request a certified copy.
  • If you were not born in the USA, in addition to an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, Social Security will accept other childhood identification such as a baptismal certificate or grade school records that show your date of birth. Social Security also requires proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency.

If you don't have proof of your date of birth, don't wait to obtain it before applying for Social Security benefits. It's important to lock in the date as early as possible. SSA will help you obtain this proof by means of their form, SSA-1706 (12-89) available at: offsite link

W-2 forms or tax returns

  • Social Security requires last year's W-2 forms or federal tax returns. As a general matter, Social Security is behind in entering data submitted with taxes so this information will help them verify your credits, and calculate the accurate benefit due you. If you don't have the W-2s or tax returns, Social Security will advise you on how to obtain them.

Military discharge papers (DD-214) if you were in the military service.

Workers Compensation information: If you are receiving worker's compensation benefits, Social Security wants the date of injury, claim number and payment amount.

Checking or Savings Account Number if you have one.

Social Security card or number

  • A copy of your Social Security card is preferred, but generally the number will be accepted. You can obtain the form to request a duplicate Social Security card by calling 1.800.772.1213. or going online to offsite link. If you want to go to an office to make the request, call 1.800.772.1213 and ask which office you can go to.
  • NOTE: This is one of the places where Social Security offices vary in procedure. Some offices will demand to see your Social Security card. Others will accept the number you give them which they can verify in their computers.
  • If you have worked under more than one Social Security number, take proof of all the numbers you've used. Proof can consist of paycheck stubs, W-2 forms, tax returns, and similar documents.

Social Security numbers and proof of age for each person who could be entitled to benefits due to your work, or the person on whose work credits you rely.

State Disability check stubs

  • If you live in California, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Puerto Rico, states which have mandatory disability benefits, (see STD-Mandatory State Programs), Social Security will want a record of any benefits you received from those programs to determine whether your SSDI benefit will be reduced because of those payments.
  • If your state benefits are exhausted, then showing the stubs will assure you the maximum SSDI benefit. If you never applied for your state disability income, you may want to consider doing so.

If you are not a citizen, proof of residency status

  • NOTE: Under welfare reform, undocumented workers may accrue SSD and Social Security benefits while working but benefits will not be paid as long as they remain in this country illegally. Undocumented workers will have to return to their native country and receive their benefits through the local US consul or embassy.

If you are applying for dependent benefits under another person's Social Security number, Social Security requires proof of marriage if you are applying as a spouse or proof of child support if you are applying for benefits for a step-child.

Name, address and phone number of a person who can get in touch with you if necessary. Since Social Security may also contact that person about how your health condition(s) impact your ability to work or do daily activities, a person who knows this information would be helpful.

Proof Of Medical Condition: While it is not required for the interview, you can substantially speed up the process, and make it more likely to obtain an award, if you obtain the following proof yourself. Take as much of this evidence as you can get to the interview with you. Supply the rest as soon as you can after the interview. If you don't provide this information, DDS will work to obtain it for you -- in their own time. Perhaps they will not be as thorough as you would be. DDS is required to contact all medical sources that you list, and has specified time for following up if a report is not received. DDS will contact you to advise which sources have not responded to their request.

  • Medical Evidence: Look for all medical evidence that proves the extent of your physical and mental health condition(s)such as your medical records, doctor's statement(s) and lab tests. See Medical Evidence of Your Condition.
  • Third Party Testimony: It is also very helpful to your claim if you provide third party testimony in the form of Affidavits and written statements from friends, co-workers, family, or any one who knows about your condition and has observed its effects on your day-to-day functioning. See Affidavits and Statements From Friends, Family and Co-Workers.
  • Daily Log: If you've kept one, provide copies of the relevant parts of your Work Journal and Health Journal or other logs you've kept which shows on a contemporaneous basis your symptoms and how they affected your ability to work as well as your daily life. "Contemporaneous" means that you made the notes when the events occurred.
  • Medications:
    • Provide copies of your prescriptions if you have them. Also bring all your prescription bottles.
    • Provide a list of any over-the-counter and natural remedies you use.

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.