You are here: Home Survivorship A-Z Community need surgery
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

need surgery - no insurance - new member

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

need surgery - no insurance - new member

Postby heather_cf182 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:29 am

I work part-time and my husband is on permanent disability receiving SSI
I'm a post-menopausal woman who has just received a diagnosis of ovarian cysts, 30 to 50 percent chance of cancer. The left ovary is 8cm and must be removed. I have no health insurance. I do not qualify for medicaid.
I went to the largest hospital near me when it became clear there was no gynecological oncologist in my hometown hospital who could help me. I sat four hours in triage, six and a half hours in the waiting room before I even saw one of the ER docs. I was told there was a card for residents of that county that entitled them to reduced rates or even free care but that I didn't qualify because I lived in the next county but that if I contacted my local health dept., I could see about qualifying for the County Medically Indigent Program. I tried. I did all the running around, gathering documents, applying for and being denied medicaid and getting that in writing and guess what? I am over the limit for county medically indigent program.
So now what am I supposed to do? I need surgery, STAT!
Would you believe I had one physician actually look me in the face and say, "You have no health insurance. I can't help you."
What the hell is wrong with this picture?
Each day is a gift. That's why it's called The Present.
Tell someone you love them every day. You never know.
heather_cf182

to heather

Postby arthur_89345 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Don't give up there. Get online and on the phone. I was in dire straights too. I saw a show on PBS. I couldn't sleep with worry that night and about 3AM I saw a program about Hep C, Chemo Therapy and a program available through the University of Washington. I am part of the 80% group that beats the disease. I also ordered my meds through an online company out of Oregon. Cost was $150.00. The Rite Aid Pharmacy wanted $5000.00. Not a typo, $5000.00 verses $150.00.
Good luck Heather and chin up to your Mr. too.
Randy
arthur_89345

Partners against pain

Postby arthur_38583 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Heather, I just went on another favorite help site called partners against pain. Federally funded health centers care for you.
http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov
Good luck again,
Randy
arthur_38583

Return to General