You are here: Home Work Issues Work: Seeking New ... Work: Employer ... Available Tax Credits
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Work: Employer Tax Credits

Available Tax Credits

« Previous


Ticket To Work

The Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvements Act of 1999 extended the extension of tax credits available to employers who hire people who are "disabled" and former welfare and food stamp recipients among other people.  For example, the Work Opportunity and Welfare-to-Work Tax Credit can be worth up to $3500 for the first full year of employment---and up to $5000 the second year--- to an employer who hires a targeted person.

Empowerment Zone Employment Tax Credit

The IRS also offers employers an Empowerment Zone Employment Tax Credit for hiring persons in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Eastern Kentucky, the Mississippi Delta and the Rio Grande Valley. There are also 94 additional, smaller enterprise zones in most large and medium inner cities and in poor rural areas.

Disabled Access Credit

In addition, the Disabled Access Credit can benefit employers who incur costs for architectural, equipment and other qualified physical workplace changes to accommodate a hired disabled person.

People Leaving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

If you are on SSDI, and are not also a recipient of Supplemental Security Income, TANF (welfare) or food stamps, and aren't 18-to-25-year-old Enterprise Zone residents, there is another credit available.

Unfortunately in order to obtain it, you must first enroll in your state vocational rehabilitation program and then get yourself referred by vocational rehabilitation to the employer you want to work for. Following this procedure gets the employer the most generous tax credit: The Work Opportunity Credit (IRS Forms 8850 and 8861). Fortunately, this burdensome bureaucratic rule doesn't apply for hiring employers who take the other available tax credits.

The information in this article was supplied as a courtesy by Thomas McCormack, author of The AIDS Benefit Handbook (Yale University Press)

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.