You are here: Home Government ... Medicare: Part D Help Paying For ... How To Apply For Extra ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Help Paying For Drugs -- The Extra Help Program

How To Apply For Extra Help

« Previous


If you have a Medicare Savings Plan or Medicaid, or Supplemental Security Income, you will get a letter from Medicare stating that you are automatically eligible for Extra Help. If you automatically qualify for Extra Help, Medicare will automatically enroll you in a drug plan unless you choose one yourself. (To learn how to choose a Drug Plan yourself, see :Part D -- How To Choose.) If you don't get a letter saying you are automatically enrolled,  you have to apply.

If you don't automatically get Extra Help, you must contact Social Security Administration and fill out an application. You can complete an application on line or over the telephone by calling 800.772.1213 or at your local Social Security office. You don't have to provide proof of income or assets -- but expect that Medicare will check.

If your application is denied, you can appeal. Instructions about how to appeal are included in the denial letter.

Once enrolled for Extra help, it renews automatically, subject to a check by Social Security ("Redetermination"). It is advisable to respond to any requests for information from Social Security within the time limit stated. It doesn't matter that the facts of your situation may not have changed.(If you need more time than requested by Social Security, go to your local Social Security office and ask for another 30 days.)

If you enrolled yourself in Medicare Part D, and then receive Extra Help, the plan must reimburse you for the costs.

For questions about Extra Help, see: offsite link or call 800.772.1213

For questions about Medicare, go to the Medicare Rights Center: offsite link

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.