Health Insurance: How To Maximize Use Of Your
The keys to maximizing use of your health insurance policy are:
- Understand the general rationale behind the type of policy you have and how the provisions you care about fit into the overall scheme. To learn more about the different types of health insurance policies, see:
- Fee-for-service (indemnity) plans (the type in which you get to choose your medical care and who provides it), see: How To Maximize Use Of A Fee-For-Service Health Insurance Policy
- HMOs (the type in which the care you receive and by whom is controlled by the insurer so you need approvals before getting): see: How To Maximize Use Of An HMO
- POS plans (the type in which you can see in-network doctors for minimal cost or pay more and go out of network): see: How To Maximize Use Of A POS Health Insurance Policy
- PPO plans (the type with discounted medical care): see: How To Maximize Use Of A PPO Health Insurance Policy
- Make friends with a case manager if your insurer has one. A case manager can be an important source of information, can help coordinate your care and can influence the insurer on your behalf.
- If you run into difficulty, appeal, and keep appealing. It pays off. Also look for help from other sources of influence, such as the Human Resources department of your employer, or the broker who arranged the insurance.
Get Your Personal Guide