You are here: Home Government ... Social Security: ... Hiring A ... Paralegals and Other ...
Information about all aspects of finances affected by a serious health condition. Includes income sources such as work, investments, and private and government disability programs, and expenses such as medical bills, and how to deal with financial problems.
Information about all aspects of health care from choosing a doctor and treatment, staying safe in a hospital, to end of life care. Includes how to obtain, choose and maximize health insurance policies.
Answers to your practical questions such as how to travel safely despite your health condition, how to avoid getting infected by a pet, and what to say or not say to an insurance company.

Hiring A Representative To Help With A SSDI Claim

Paralegals and Other Non-Attorneys

« Previous


Paralegals (people who assist lawyers in the delivery of legal services, but who are not attorneys themselves) and other non-attorneys can argue cases before the Social Security Administration. However, it is advisable to be extremely wary about paying such non-attorneys a fee for their assistance.

Since only attorneys are entitled to direct payment of fees from Social Security, one of the major areas of fraud is non-attorneys claiming to be attorneys on the Appointment of Representative forms so that they can get direct fee payment from Social Security.

These "non-lawyers" are not required to carry "malpractice" or "errors and omissions" insurance so you aren't likely to have a deep pocket to help correct their errors in the event they advise you improperly. They are also not licensed by any agency to provide some assurance about their knowledge and experience.

Prospective clients should inquire about attorney supervision of a non-attorney representative before signing any contract about representation.

Keeping the above cautions in mind, Disability Services, Inc. has been representing individuals in Michigan with Social Security Disability claims since 1979: see offsite link or call 1.800.374.9950.

For more information about representation and about the fees a representative may charge, see the Social Security publication: Social Security and Your Right to Representation. The publication is available online at: offsite link or call 800.772.1213 to obtain a free copy.

Please share how this information is useful to you. 0 Comments


Post a Comment Have something to add to this topic? Contact Us.

Characters remaining:

  • Allowed markup: <a> <i> <b> <em> <u> <s> <strong> <code> <pre> <p>
    All other tags will be stripped.